On 11 December 2018, in Katowice, the Italian Ministry for the Environment, Land and Sea and the Ministry of Public Works, Infrastructure, Natural Resources and Environment of the Democratic Republic of Sao Tomè and Principe signed a Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation on climate change vulnerability, risk
assessment, adaptation and mitigation.
The Italian Ministry for the Environment co-finances the activities approved under the Protocol with an amount of 2 million euros, which can be integrated with additional funds.
The Parties will cooperate in particular in the following areas of common interest:
• collection, analysis and dissemination of meteorological data in order to observe and measure the impact of climate change on potentially vulnerable economic sectors;
• support for the implementation, reporting, monitoring and communication of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs);
• development of national policies and special programs for coastal zone management, disaster management, impact assessment and adaptation measures at local level;
• promotion and development of renewable energy;
• biodiversity preservation and reduction of environmental degradation;
• promotion of sustainable integrated water management;
• promotion of Climate Smart Agricolture (CSA) practices;
• sustainable waste management.