On November 30, 2018, in Rome, the Italian Ministry for the Environment, Land and Sea and the Ministry of National Development Planning of the Republic of Zambia signed a Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation on issues relating to reducing climate change vulnerability by enhancing risk assessment and implementation of various adaptation and mitigation measures.
Hon. Alexander Chiteme, Minister of National Development Planning, and the Italian Minister of the Environment, Land and Sea Mr. Sergio Costa, signed the MoU on behalf of their respective countries.
The Italian Ministry for the Environment co-finances the activities approved under the Protocol with an amount of 2 million euros, which can be integrated with additional funds.
The Parties will collaborate in the following areas of common interest:
• collection, analysis and dissemination of data relevant to the observation of climate change and measurement of its impact on the potentially vulnerable economic sectors;
• support to the implementation, monitoring, reporting and communication of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs);
• promotion of sustainable forest management, including reduction of deforestation and forest degradation (REDD +), and enhancement of afforestation and reforestation policies;
• promotion of Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) practices;
• promotion of renewable energy and energy efficiency, also through the development of off-grid technologies in rural areas;
• sustainable integrated water management;
• sustainable waste management;
• integrated land use management to promote the sustainable use of resources.